Add a VHD wizard allows you to create a virtual hard disk — a virtual representation of a physical HDD. Commonly, it is used to backup data or to host more than one operating system on a single PC.
Add a VHD wizard is a part of Virtual HDD paid group. Learn more about the features included in Virtual HDD group in the relevant article.
To create a virtual hard disk, click Virtual HDD option in the sidebar and choose Add a VHD from the sidebar menu or from the catalog of wizards.
Here you need to perform several easy steps:
- Choose the path and the name of your VHD. Use Browse... button to simplify this process.
- Enter the size of the image. Choose MB or GB in the drop-down list. Note that image size needs to be smaller than the available free space on your physical hard disk.
- Choose the Type of your VHD:
- The size of the Dynamic disk increases when data is saved to it but doesn't decrease when data is removed from it.
- The virtual disk with a Fixed size uses constant space of your physical hard disk. This option is recommended.
The basic options are adjusted, so now you can click Start button and begin creating a VHD. Also, you can set Advanced options. To go to Advanced options, click the link in the bottom of the wizard. Here you will be able to:
- Type the Label of the volume.
- Select the File system. Note that you won’t be able to store 4GB+ files on the VHD if you choose FAT32.
- Choose whether to include a Boot record. If you check MBR option, the disk will contain a boot sector which specifies how the logical partitions are organized. If you don't need this sector, choose None option.
- Choose how to Mount a VHD — as a Removable storage (an optical disk or flash drive) or as a Hard Disk Drive (a fixed media).
- Click Start button to begin creating a VHD or Back button to return to the catalog of Virtual HDD group. To review the basic options, click the relevant link in the bottom of the wizard.
- Wait a few moments while a VHD is being created.